When Lexie was born, it was right smack dab in the middle of George's football season. Lexie was born on Oct 22, which was a Friday, and George had a game the next evening here in Lawrence against Texas A&M. That day of his game was the first insight that I had into what it was really going to be like to be a wife of someone who worked in college athletics. A week later, George was on the road to Iowa State. I had my friend, Tegan, come and stay with us on Friday evening because I was so tired and didn't want to be alone. That Saturday, was probably one of the longest days of my life, so I thought. Lexie was fussy all day and she had wanted to nurse almost all day long. I couldn't even get a meal in and I was home by myself. I was reluctant to ask for help from my friends because I thought that I should be able to take care of Lexie on my own. Well, needless to say by the time George had gotten home that evening, which was around 10:30, I was not sure who was crying more, Lexie or myself. From that point on, I knew that I had to have some help, so George starting asking around his office and others in the Athletic Department to see if anyone knew of someone who could help me in the coming weeks when he was going to be traveling with football.
I had met Stephanie Patrick when I was still pregnant with Lexie. She had moved to Lawrence from Chicago to live with her fiance, Tom, who worked with George in the football office. She had been a nanny for a few families and she was just a natural with Lexie. From that point on, I could always count on her when I needed help with Lexie. She quickly turned into a great friend, shopping buddy, road trip buddy to KC, and my running buddy!
She is only moving to Austin, but we will miss her dearly. You will always be Lexie's first and most favorite babysitter. We wish you the best of luck in your new journey and hope that it is everything that you want and need! We will be down to visit, you can count on that!!
No comments:
Post a Comment